phases in shades of pink...

Life is complicated. It not only comes in various colors but in various shades of each color. Black and white appear at opposite extremes of the spectrum and in between are all the different shades of colors. Thus, hot pink would be funky, lively and energetic while a rose white would symbolize a more serene, peaceful and pure environment. My life therefore, is colored in shades of pink.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Dream is Destiny?

Sorry I haven't written for so long...to those of you who are faithful in coming here. I do apologize. I have been really busy and have had much going on both in my life and in my mind, heart and soul. If you ever want to see what change is like, try living in another country for a significant amount of time, away from family and your closest friends. You will of course make new ones, but in the process, you'll learn much about yourself...perhaps more than you're ready to. I have to say that I am surprised at the change that I have gone through.

I guess I've come to a point in life where I'm trying to understand what I'm here for and what I'm really doing with my life. Huh...my philosophy class is really helping me rethink everything I thought I knew. I guess that it helps me in really understanding what I believe, what I have chosen to believe and why I believe what I believe. It's an interesting process when I stop long enough to reflect on my life. That, unfortunately, doesn't happen as often as it should.

So yesterday, I just watched this movie called Waking Life by Richard Linklater. If you ever want something to completely throw you off and give you something to think about, try this movie. I'll just warn you that it is intense. We watched it for a philosophy class and I actually came out with a headache...literally...from thinking about what was going on. Anyway, do check it out and you'll learn more about existentialism. I'm learning about the different philosophies of life now, so I'm gradually learning about hedonism, stoicism, existentialism and buddhism. I thought I was a stoic to begin with...now I'm not sure anymore...we'll see. I'm probably a combination of a few, but it's interesting to think about what I give priority in my life.

In honor of being a sociology major and taking a philosophy class, I have covered my door with many of the thinkers of all time. From Plato and Socrates to Nietzsche, Rene Descartes and Emile Durkheim. Along with all these sociologists and philosophers are Katie (my roommate) and I.

Well, that's some of the stuff I've been up to. The weather is great today. You would think that we would have snow in the middle of January, but no...apparently not. Instead, we have lotsa sunshine and what appears to be spring weather. But I'm not complaining...

Question: Do times change or do our standards change? Depending on this, what choices do we choose to make in the things that we do?

1 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dream is destiny?

Yeah I guess dreams help form our destiny. Everything starts with a clear vision of who we want to be in the future. Once our vision is clear we start dreaming and set goals in order to make our dreams a reality. With dreams comes hope!! Like Andy Dufresne said in the movie the Shawshank Redemption “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.” :)

In response to ur 2nd question..

Question: Do times change or do our standards change? Depending on this, what choices do we choose to make in the things that we do?

Both time and our standard changes over the years. With time we grow older and in that process are exposed to a lot of new things like discovering new places, meeting new people, adapting to different cultures and exploring new ideas and taking a lot of risk in that process. I strongly believe that we change our standards for the better after going trough that process. The choices we make depend on the situation that we are in at that moment. I believe that time + exposure + risk=experience. Experience would help us make better decisions and thus increase our standards with time

On the other hand, if we stay in the same room or cell for the next 10-20 years without exposing ourselves to the outside world thn our standards remain the same

-sid-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home