phases in shades of pink...

Life is complicated. It not only comes in various colors but in various shades of each color. Black and white appear at opposite extremes of the spectrum and in between are all the different shades of colors. Thus, hot pink would be funky, lively and energetic while a rose white would symbolize a more serene, peaceful and pure environment. My life therefore, is colored in shades of pink.

Saturday, September 11, 2004

The One on English

I was with a few friends the other day, and we were discussing how important English is. It wasn’t just the basic communication part that we were talking about, but we were actually discussing how being able to speak English fluently creates a different sort of mindset (at least we can see the difference in this country).

I don’t know what it is about this language that makes this difference. Perhaps it is the fact that this language is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, or perhaps somehow it influences us to think differently. I don’t know for sure, but there is a difference, an improvement, and I think it would help if we were all aware of it.

The issue of English has been around for quite some time now as our government is trying to increase the fluency level here. It is no wonder that they are doing this as English is one of the second most widely spoken languages in the world, after Mandarin. One out of six people in the world speak English and it is the first language for about 375 million people around the world. Thus, it is an important means of communication around the world.


Anyway, i would just like to remind everyone of the significance of English in our lives. Oh, if you are looking for ways to improve your vocabulary, well try reading…and check out my blog on reading…hehe. Kill two birds with one stone.

1 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Sister Sunshine said...

If you were not writing in English, I would not be reading it... as it is the ONLY language I know. I wish I knew another, or others... but at 39 I feel like I'm a little old to be trying to master something that complex.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home