phases in shades of pink...

Life is complicated. It not only comes in various colors but in various shades of each color. Black and white appear at opposite extremes of the spectrum and in between are all the different shades of colors. Thus, hot pink would be funky, lively and energetic while a rose white would symbolize a more serene, peaceful and pure environment. My life therefore, is colored in shades of pink.

Monday, April 11, 2005

Greenland...My Discovery

This will probably sound totally absurd to everyone else out there but I feel it's necessary for me to relate my new found bit of information.

Here goes...I just found out that Greenland is a country. Yes, I know! Please do pardon my ignorance.

You know, I always kind of assumed that Greenland was similar to the North Pole or the South Pole except that it was somehow related to Denmark...or something like that. I have to admit that I never really thought about it much and I sure didn't take the time to look it up...and well, now I'm embarrassed about it. *deep red flushed face*

Well yes, now I finally know that Greenland is actually a country on it's own. Here's a bit of information on the history of this country:

How did a glacier-covered island get the name Greenland? In Norse legends written in the 12th century and later, it is told that Eric the Red explored the southeast and southwest coasts of Greenland in A.D. 983-986 and gave the country its name because people would be more likely to go there if it had an attractive name. Greenland was warmer in the tenth century than it is now. There were many islands teeming with birds off its western coast; the sea was excellent for fishing; and the coast of Greenland itself had many fjords where anchorage was good. At the head of the fjords there were enormous meadows full of grass, willows, junipers, birch, and wild berries. Thus Greenland actually deserved its name. Another attraction of Greenland was that Iceland and northwestern Europe, including England, had a grievous year of famine in 976, and people were hungry for food as well as land.

It's the weirdest thing that Greenland is covered with ice and Iceland is green.

Anyway, that's about all on my discovery of Greenland. I know...duhh!!!

4 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Green land. Home of the Green giant.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger daenielle said...

Who is the green giant?

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aiyah! I thought you might have known who the green giant is.. considering your american roots! He sells green peas!

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger daenielle said...

Ahh...that guy. I never would have guessed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home