phases in shades of pink...

Life is complicated. It not only comes in various colors but in various shades of each color. Black and white appear at opposite extremes of the spectrum and in between are all the different shades of colors. Thus, hot pink would be funky, lively and energetic while a rose white would symbolize a more serene, peaceful and pure environment. My life therefore, is colored in shades of pink.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

IRoNy

I am amazed at the people who live in squatter villages in Malaysia. These people have built houses on government land illegally and thus do not pay any sort of rent. Their water and electricity supply is simply tapped out of a main line going to any nearby housing area. Looking at the condition of their houses, which consist of zinc roofs held up by planks of wood nailed together, one could only assume that these people are quite poor and that they live simple lifestyles.

This was my opinion at first, but after living in this country for a while, my view has changed.

Driving slowly past a squatter village, you don’t have to look too hard to spot the ASTRO satellites connected up to the walls of their shabby houses or the Proton Waja’s parked in their ‘driveways’. For people who can’t afford to pay rent for a legal house, they sure seem to live relatively comfortable lifestyles - comfortable yet contradictory. I find this really interesting.

Perhaps I shall study their culture once I am qualified in the area of sociology. Till then, I shall continue observing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home