phases in shades of pink...

Life is complicated. It not only comes in various colors but in various shades of each color. Black and white appear at opposite extremes of the spectrum and in between are all the different shades of colors. Thus, hot pink would be funky, lively and energetic while a rose white would symbolize a more serene, peaceful and pure environment. My life therefore, is colored in shades of pink.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Learning How To Learn

People learn in different ways depending on many various factors such as age and personality. Nonetheless, is it more beneficial to an individual to learn from experiance or to learn from other people's experiances? When I was a kid...about 3 years old, dad told me not to touch the oven cuz it was hot. I touched it anyway because I wanted to find out for myself. I got burned and burst out into tears; but I never touched a hot oven since.

I have always had a slightly rebellious side...one which many are possibly unaware of. I like to learn from my own mistakes and not just listen to how I shouldn't do something because it was bad for someone else. Of course when I speak of this, I am dealing with issues that are grey, and not that which is black or white. For that would be foolish. Killing a person to see what it's like is just plain wrong and stupid.

I think that some people prefer to accept the advice of those who have been through a similar situation, while some people, like me perhaps, prefer to walk the path ourselves. Nonetheless, there is a risk of falling down and never getting up again, so that is something to be cautious and aware of.

As long as you manage to pull through a difficulty or problem or whatever, you get stronger...I dare say stronger than if you didn't go through that trial. So the process of falling down and pulling yourself back up again actually strengthens your personality and character. But then again, it is a more difficult path as it might seem that you're looking for trouble. Many people have been known to get lost along this difficult path.

The smoother path would be taking advice and travelling easier...not stumbling as frequently. But do you come out as strong as the person who has stumbled many more times?

I don't believe that one way is necessarily better than the other. I think it depends a lot on the individual. I'm sure it's possible to even switch back and forth between both methods of learning. Anyhow, it's important that you know yourself and are aware of your preferance of learning.

Note: I got my 'rebellion' from dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home