phases in shades of pink...

Life is complicated. It not only comes in various colors but in various shades of each color. Black and white appear at opposite extremes of the spectrum and in between are all the different shades of colors. Thus, hot pink would be funky, lively and energetic while a rose white would symbolize a more serene, peaceful and pure environment. My life therefore, is colored in shades of pink.

Monday, June 27, 2005

In the Past

I wrote this while at the airport waiting for my flight to San Francisco but I haven't had time to post it till now. Here goes...


I'm waiting at the airport for my flight to California and I've decided to use up the time and write so I can update my blog. I've been in the States now for a total of eight days (this was written on Tuesday the 21st of June) and since arriving I haven't had much time to just sit back and relax. Things have been happening quite constantly since I've arrived.

Now I'm gonna be on my flight to Cal and I should have time to settle down and write once I get there (little did I know). Also, I hope to be on MSN more and email more. And to those who I owe pictures...yes, yes, it's coming.

I just got back from Goshen yesterday. On the way there, we stopped at my cousins place in Wisconsin and on the way back, we stopped to visit my grandparents.

I was quite hesitant when we were driving through Goshen town becuase the town was small and stuff. But part of it kind of reminded me of Rome with it's quaint appearance, except the roads, which are much much wider. It was a pleasant feeling and it created a more 'homey' feeling within me. Nonetheless, it's a small town and I was slightly worried about how I would fit in. I mean, shucks!...I'm from the city and now I'm gonna be in the country...kind of like in the middle of nowhere-relatively.

Fortunately, after reaching the campus and walking around a bit, I was comforted and felt more secure. There's actually a reasonable amount of things to do on campus, and well, I think I'll survive. I practically jumped for joy when I saw the room with pool tables. And besides having a complete fitness centre with all sorts of facilities that can be used any time before 9 pm, they also have a cinema, a nice swimming pool, both squash and tennis courts, a nice big plasma screen TV to watch the Super Bowl on, and an amazing hall which has many rooms with pianos. It's a plesant place...many trees around nice, brick red buildings covered with ivy...the typical American university appearance. Very nice! I do have pictures but I don't know how soon I will put them up. Maybe when I finally figure out how to. Hehe...

Oh, I have to write more about 'the train'. It cracks me up everytime just thinking of it. I was talking to one of my friends who is at Goshen and she was telling me how they have to fun over the tracks when they hear the train coming so that they don't have to wair for the frain, cuz they they might be late for class of whatever. Hilarious, no? Imagine being late for lunch becuase I can't get over the train tracks cuz one of the really long trains is running through and I have to stand just off the tracks, watching and waiting for this train to go by. Sheesh!

The first day we were there, I went to a nearby bank to get an account so that I can get an ATM and a debit card. Anyway, as I entered the bank, I swaw an Amish couple and I learned really quickly that this sight would not at all be unusual. Sure enough, over the next two days that I was there, I saw many Amish men with their long beards and the women, with their white bonnets. Interesting...very interesting!

The main purpose for me visiting Goshen was to go for the early registration and sign up for my classes. For the early orientation thing, we were separated into smaller groups. I was quite surprised to learn that most of my group mates were from Goshen itself. Very few were from other states. But then again, I suppose that most of the students from outstation will only come for the actual oriendtation at the beginning of the term. It was tather weird though cuz that means that most of the people there have been there their whole life and probably haven't been very far from home. Nonetheless, the people there were both fun, crazy, slightly wild and really friendly. I know I will enjoy myself there; and I'm looking forward to this phase of my life.

Note: I've been eating so much more here cuz I like the food and I get hungrry so much more cuz it's cold.

Oh, if anyone wants to come visit me when I'm in Goshen, you are most welcome to. Just fly into South Bend airport and I'll somehow pick you up from there. OH, but I gotta mention that public transport around here is bad news. The last bus from town is at 6pm, and town is about half an hour away from Goshen campus. Oh, and don't put your hope in taxis cuz you'll be disappointed. Most places in Goshen town close by 9pm with the exception of Wal-Mart (a department store-type place) and a few restaurants with bars. Anyway, it will be a change for me, living in a small place where shops actually close; but I feel so much better about it after going there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home