phases in shades of pink...

Life is complicated. It not only comes in various colors but in various shades of each color. Black and white appear at opposite extremes of the spectrum and in between are all the different shades of colors. Thus, hot pink would be funky, lively and energetic while a rose white would symbolize a more serene, peaceful and pure environment. My life therefore, is colored in shades of pink.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

J. Henry Meyer Memorial Library

I look up from the computer that I am at and directly in front of me on the wall is a picture of a dignified old, balding man with glasses. This picture is framed in a bronze frame. To the left of it in dark brown letters against the light brown stone backgroud, it states:

"THE J. HENRY MEYER MEMORIAL LIBRARY
made possible by the gifts of his daughters
ALICE MEYER BUCK AND E. OLGA MEYER"

So, this is where I am. In one of the many old buildings on Stanford campus, rich with architecture, named after some old man. Kind of ironic, considering the computer I am using is one of the fastest I have used in a while.

I finally have a confirmed job. I'll be working at the Stanford Dining Hall near the lake, and I'll be doing office work. It's actually quite a blessing how things have turned out. It's close enough that I cycle there every day. I get free lunches too. I've noticed though, that my legs are getting quite toned now...thanks to all the cycling that I have been doing. Anyway, I finally have a job aside from the tutoring job that I am already doing.

I'm going to one of the other libraries after this. It's so cool...they had to move a lot of the books out from the building that I'm in, and into this other building because the foundation of the Meyer building wasn't strong enough to support the weight of all the books. The other library is amazing. It's got floors and floors of books...these are called the Stacks. It's amazing. I've never seen so many books!

Well, I'm off to the other library now and looks like I might get lost in the piles and piles of books that they have there. Oh, I hear the bells chiming. It's one o'clock. Time to pay the library a visit.

Note: I'm worried about myself...for some reason, I don't miss Malaysian food yet.

1 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dearrie..congratulations on your new job..glad that you have found a job closer to your place & moreover, free lunches!..now that’s really sweet.:-)...gosh cant believe you are doing tutoring as well hard working women..well by the way, your present library sounds awesome to the fact that its situated in an ancient building..The stacks sounds rather interesting though..i could imagine the amount of books being piled..perhaps a paradise for you hehe..sounds like things are falling into place for you..take care & I might not miss Malaysian food that much as well if i were in the states except my mums amazing cooking :-)

Sara (saravanan)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home